Monday, 7 May 2012

Greek Salad


I love a good salad, but considering how easy it is to put together, it's not always easy to get it right. There has been many times when I have been served a salad that is either drowning in dressing or the leaves are limp and not very fresh. There is nothing worse than getting some fresh crisp salad leaves that are drowning in a tasteless or too strong a dressing, which is why I always request my dressing on the side. It is much better to taste the dressing first and then pour on the amount you require than allowing an eager chef over doing it. But a Greek salad hits the mark for me every time and it is so simple to make and very difficult to ruin.


I love the saltiness from the feta, the strong taste from the kalamata olives, which are all mellowed down by the tomatoes, cucumber and green pepper, then if you're lucky you get a strong hit from the red onion. For me it's the perfect salad to accompany most meals and it is even great on it's own.

Kalamata olives are very strong and not everybody likes them, so you can replace them with plain black olives. Do not use green olives as I personally don't think they work with this dish.

This salad is perfect with Turkey Escalopes.

  • 1 medium red onion, sliced
  • 1 green pepper, sliced
  • 3 tomatoes, roughly chopped
  • ½ cucumber, roughly chopped
  • 1 block of feat cheese, diced
  • 75g kalamata olives, stoned and cut in half
  • 2tsp oregano
  • 1tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • salt and pepper to season
  • (serves 4)


Just add all the ingredients, accept the oil and seasoning and mix together.

Pour in the oil, again mix together and add salt and pepper, be careful with the salt as the feta and olives can be salty and you don't want to ruin the salad with too much salt.


1 comment:

All That I'm Eating said...

I love Greek Salad, it's one of my favourites. I add extra onion to mine!